The Boulder Monitor, a dynamic weekly paper and online news site in Jefferson County, Montana, is looking for an editor to lead our news organization.
The Monitor is under new ownership. The paper aims to sustain its historically strong journalism, but it has made several strategic shifts in its first year to better serve its audience and community while ensuring its financial sustainability. These changes include:
- Introduction of a dynamic online news site – and a shift, over time, to a digital-first publication strategy.
- A strong emphasis on solutions reporting, surfacing and investigating potential responses to the challenges facing Jefferson County
- Focus on a few “tentpole” issues that drive enterprise reporting
- Expansion of local news coverage in communities outside Boulder
- Online and offline engagement activities that augment the paper’s solutions reporting, catalyzing constructive and inclusive public discourse that points the community toward action
- Development of interactive mechanisms to track audience engagement, coverage interests, and questions
We’re looking for a strong all-around journalist who is passionate about local news to continue this important transition. This is a “Swiss Army knife” role: The editor will direct content strategy, report, produce visuals, and design pages, directing a growing team of freelancers and volunteers.
Boulder is an energetic rural city within 30 minutes of Helena, an hour from Bozeman and Butte, and two hours from Missoula. It’s a great place for outdoor recreation, and also a warm and welcoming community.
Send your CV, a letter of interest, and/or questions to Keith Hammonds, publisher, at [email protected].
Posted Feb. 11, 2020
The Missoula Current, a digital news company founded in 2015, is seeking an experienced government reporter to cover the Missoula City Council.
This contract represents roughly 18 hours of work each week and will see the applicant attend City Council meetings on Monday night, committee meetings on Wednesday, and follow up on any significant issues Thursday or Friday morning. On weeks when the City Council agenda is light, the applicant will be asked to interview other community members on pressing issues facing the city, from housing to tax reform.
We’re looking for an experienced reporter who works with objectivity, has no political bend, is capable of turning stories around quickly, writes clean and coherent copy, and understands the difference between fact and rhetoric. An understanding of the legislative process is also helpful.
The Missoula Current prides itself on its reporting of local government, and this position represents one of the pillars noted in our founding mission. This freelance position currently pays $1,200 a month for roughly 72 hours of work, though pay could increase over time as the Missoula Current continues to grow.
Please submit recent writing samples and resume to Missoula Current, P.O. Box 2935, Missoula, Montana, 59806. The application deadline closes on Feb. 28.
Posted Feb. 7, 2020
IMMEDIATE OPENING: Country Media, Inc., a successful, growing family media company of 15 non-daily print publications and websites, has an opening for an Editor/Reporter. Responsible for writing day-to-day stories for our weekly newspaper in Baker, Montana, and to a lesser extent for our nearby weekly newspaper in Bowman, North Dakota. Excellent potential for advancement. Country Media offers a highly competitive salary and a variety of employee benefits, including group health insurance; paid holidays, vacation and sick leave; mileage reimbursement, and others. For immediate consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Posted Nov. 5, 2019
The Livingston Enterprise is looking for a talented press operator to join our company to support our new press expansion and commercial printing. Must be very experienced in maintenance. Full company insurance package, medical, vacation. Salary compensation with experience. Send resume to [email protected].
Posted Sept. 9, 2019
Assistant Editor Position
Western Ag Reporter is seeking a highly motivated assistant editor to join our team and assist in developing weekly content for the publication.As assistant editor, you will work closely with the editor to plan and produce relevant and timely content each week.
- Meeting with editor to plan the upcoming week’s content.
- Closely monitoring breaking news in the ag industry.
- Proofread and edit copy for print.
- Suggest original ideas.
- Developing original articles each week.
- Create visual aids for articles.
- Assisting in assigning articles by providing freelancers with adequate resources.
- Assisting in freelance management ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Manage freelance writers, prepare content, and layout editorial in the absence of the editor.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Experience with Pages, Microsoft word, and inDesign.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work in an efficient and timely manner in order to meet weekly deadlines.
- Interview skills.
- Communication skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Willingness to work with a team.
- Experience in Illustrator and Photoshop preferred.
- Previous publication experience preferred.
- Ag background preferred.
This is a full-time, entry-level position that may include some overnight travel. Candidate must be willing to reside in Billings, MT and report to the office daily. Salary DOE.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, writing samples, and photography or graphic sample (if available) to [email protected] or Western Ag Reporter, attn: Kayla, PO Box 30758, Billings, MT 59107. Call (406) 259-4589 or (406) 930-1466 with questions and ask to speak with Kayla.